Saturday, September 9, 2017

Welcome Kindergarten Students and Lego Boat Challenge





Welcome to Kindergarten!

Dear New Student,

Hello!  My name is Ms. Cherwinski and I am your new Kindergarten teacher.  I am very excited that you are in my class.  I am looking forward to meeting you and learning all about you.  I am sure you want to get to know a little about me too!  I enjoy reading, running with my dog Brady, yoga, relaxing on the beach, paddle boarding, and spending time with family and friends.  Ms. Sousa is another teacher in our classroom.  She is very creative and likes to play with her dog Milo, paint, kayak, and enjoys spending time at the beach.  

When you come to school in September, we will begin creating our classroom community and start our year- long learning adventure together.  In Kindergarten, we will make new friends, read lots of great books, play games, write stories, explore, and invent!  

I have been getting our classroom ready for the first day of school.  We are going to have a lego- themed classroom.  I hope you like using your imagination and creating with lego’s and other materials!  I have a special activity for you to work on this summer.  Use your imagination and creativity to solve the lego boat challenge!  Can you design your own boat made out of lego’s that floats and holds pennies?  


Here are directions:

  1. Build your boat out of lego’s.
  2. Test your boat in the water.  Does it float?  If needed, go back and re-design your boat.
  3. How many pennies do you think your boat will hold before it starts to sink?  Slowly add the pennies (one at a time) to your boat.  
  4. How many pennies can you add before your boat starts to sink?  
  5. Challenge~ Try re-designing your boat to hold even more pennies.  How many pennies can your boat hold?



 
Please bring your lego boat to school with you on the first day.  If you don’t have lego’s at home, I can give them to you on the first day of school and you can design it then.  I can't wait to meet you!  Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Love,

Ms. Cherwinski

No comments:

Post a Comment